Low Carb Muesli Recipe.
10 May 2014
A recipe for low carb muesli . Paleo compatible .
1.The recipe follows principles as set out in the directions for
“Nutty Crackers” (page 230 )in Prof Tim Noakes’ book “The Real Meal Revolution)
2.The recipe :
Prices are approximate .
The ingredients can be obtained at health shops .
The only vital ingredients are psyllium husks and water , which is the binding agents .
You can play around with all the others .
Note that 1 Ounce ~ 30 g ~ 2Tbsp .
Approximate cost about R10 ($1) per 100 g dry muesli/cookie .(Depends on ingredients)
3.Low Carb Paleo Muesli .
Sunflower seeds 200g Carbs 14 Cal 620
Flax seeds 60g Carbs 0.01 Cal 320
Sesame seeds 100g Carbs 7 Cal 340
Psyllium husks 30g (2 Tbsp) Carbs 0 Cal 0
Pumpkin seeds 100g Carbs 14 Cal 120
Salt 5g (1 tsp)
Water 500 ml
Thus gives a total of 490 g Carbs 35 Cal 1400
Per 100 g Carbs 7.1 Cal 285
Per portion 2 Tbsp (30 g ) Carbs 2.1 Cal 85
1.Mix everything in a bowl .
2.Stand for at least 10 minutes . This is to give the psyllium husks a chance to absorb the water .
This forms a stiff paste (“dough”)
3.Wrap aluminium foil over the oven grill and spray with baking spray to prevent sticking .
4. Spread dough over foil in a thin layer (1/2 to 1 mm) with no holes .
5. Bake in a pre-heated oven for 1 hour at 160 C (320 F) .
6. Crisp it by baking further at 80 to 110 C for 1 to 2 hours , or until it is crisp enough for you .
7. Cool break or cut into sizes desired . Store in airtight container.
8. Shelf life is about 3 weeks .
9.If you want to keep it longer than 3 weeks , freeze it .
10. If it gets soggy , refresh it by baking at 100 C for an hour .
11. Add raisins , dried fruit etc to taste .
12. The core is the psyllium husks and water . You can play around with the other ingredients .
Adding bakeable sweeteners like acesulfame-k , xylitol , stevia , etc .to give cookies .
Bon Appetit !